Hello everyone! Hope you had a wonderful weekend! This week, I am really excited to participate in a “Blog Hop” with another 61 super talented food bloggers and to feature one of Dini Gonsalkorrale’s recipe from her Giramuk’s Kitchen. I spent quite some time browsing her wonderful blog (you should check it out too!) trying to decide which recipe to make. There are so many delicious, inviting dishes on her blog and I was supposed to choose just one….It was a difficult job until I saw her Chia Bliss Balls recipe. I was just super curious how they actually taste. Have never had a raw dessert (I know….don’t say it!) and her raw cacao chia balls looked amazing, just like real chocolate balls…and I love chocolate balls!
I had no idea what to expect in terms of taste, especially after seeing dates on the ingredients list. In just seconds, all my childhood memories were back…I never liked dates. But I thought, maybe combined they will actually taste yummy. And boy, they did! I absolutely loved these raw cacao balls!
Dini’s recipe has only a few ingredients: dates, chia seeds, raw almonds and cacao powder. In just 5 minutes you’ll have these raw cacao balls ready to be devoured. I found it really difficult staying away from eating the whole mixture before I had the chance to roll those balls out 🙂 In her post, Dini suggests to add some water, a teaspoon at a time while processing the ingredients to hold everything together, if the mixture is too dry.
My dates were quite dried, so I added some water, but was still not quite happy with the consistency of the mixture. I added one teaspoon of organic coconut oil and that has worked its magic. You will also notice that my raw cacao balls have white chia seeds 🙂 I am trying to make them looking like having sesame seeds, as my daughter really likes sesame seeds and I am hoping she will give them a try this way 🙂
After trying this raw dessert, I cannot wait to try some new recipes! Do you have a favorite raw dessert? Please share with me 🙂
- 8.5 oz Dates
- 3 oz Chia Seeds
- 2 oz Raw Almonds
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- Add the nuts in to the food processor and pulse until they are coarsely chopped.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in to the processor and mix on low speed for about 2 minutes (stop to scrape down sides if needed) until the ingredients come together to form a "dough".
- If needed you can add a little water, a teaspoon at a time to get a dough like consistency. (See notes)
- Turn out the sticky "dough" in to a bowl.
- Roll the "dough" in to small balls.
- You can re-roll these in cacao powder if you like.
- Store in an airtight container, in the fridge.
- The ingredients need to be processed for at least 2 minutes. It will be a dry mix at first but will slowly start to stick together to form a dough. You can check it by taking a little of the mix in to your hand and squeezing it. If it holds or sticks together then it's ready. If it is already finely chopped but not holding together - add a little water while processing.